Thursday, March 19, 2009

Carmelitos:

I read about these on a blog linked off Cristine's blog and had to try them. They are better than any ooohie gooie bar I have had.
2 cups oats
2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 and 1/2 sticks melted butter (this is not a typo it's a lot and I only use real butter)
1 package milk chocolate chips
1 jar Caramel (the person I got it from says it has to be Mrs. Richardson's but I have used Hersheys and if it is that much better then I would probabally sell a child for some)

Mix all ingredients except caramel and chocolate chips. Mix will be crumbly. Put 3/4 of the mix in a 9x13 pan . Bake at 375 degrees for 17 minutes. Take lid of caramel and microwave for 45 seconds - pour on top of baked mix, then pour bag of chocolate chips on. You can kind of mix them around a little if you want, careful not to dig up any of the baked portion. Use your hand to break up and sprinkle the rest of the crumbly mix over the top. You can use a spatula if you like to lightly pat it down. Bake 8 minutes more and voila! I like to make these the day before I actually need to serve them so they have plenty of time to set.

No comments: